Following last year’s full-length LP, ‘&’, which saw him extensively collaborate with an impressive host of contemporaries and friends, including Joe Goddard, Prins Thomas and Agoria, Michael Mayer is set to contribute to the legendary DJ Kicks series. Spanning sixteen tracks, the mix finds Mayer is just as generous of a mood, composing a musical journey that spans his ever-expanding record collection, and above all, his defining instinct to share the beauty of music with others.
“Kicks has turned out to be a pretty international affair, especially if you compare it with Immer 1 or Fabric 13, which consisted almost 100% of German productions”, highlights Mayer. “At that time, there were such incredible things happening in my direct neighborhood and all over Germany. In the meantime, that spark has traveled a lot since then. The sound I’ve been pushing is often falsely described as “minimal”. Minimal used to be a thing in the pre-Kompakt days, mid 90s. After that I took much more interest in an eclectic way of playing music.”
Alongside this consistent, all-embracing attitude to music, ‘emotive’ is still perhaps the term best associated with Mayer’s leanings as a DJ, and as the man himself once observed, “there is room on the dancefloor for emotions other than euphoria.” Certainly, DJ Kicks delivers on this expectation, balancing wistful passages with frequent bursts of high energy aimed squarely at the dancefloor.
CD ALBUM (K7348CD)
- Peter Zummo – The Tape Is Chill (mixed)
- Michael Mayer – The Horn Conspiracy (DJ-Kicks) (mixed)
- Bvoice, Anrilov, Danilov – Papas Groove (doP & Masomenos Remix) (mixed)
- SAVE! – The Darkness (I:Cube Remix) (mixed)
- Justus Köhncke – Feuerland (mixed)
- CSS – Honey (Michael Mayer Remix) (mixed)
- Alter Ego – Gary (mixed)
- Kasper Björke feat. Sisi Ey – Apart (Michael Mayer Remix) (mixed)
- Lionheart Brothers – The Drift (Prins Thomas Diskomiks) (mixed)
- Mekon feat. Marc Almond – Please Stay (Röyksopp Remix) (mixed)
- Dreems – Mirages (Michael Mayer Remix) (mixed)
- Boreal – Canopy Target (mixed)
- Throbbing Gristle – Hot On The Heels Of Love (Ratcliffe Remix) (mixed)
- Death In Vegas – Consequences Of Love (Chris & Cosey Remix) (mixed)
- Idioma – Landscapes (mixed)
- Jon Hopkins – Abandon Window (Moderat Remix) (mixed)
12″ VINYL ALBUM (K7348LP)
- Throbbing Gristle – Hot On The Heels Of Love (Ratcliffe Remix)
- Jon Hopkins – Abandon Window (Moderat Remix)
- Boreal – Canopy Target
- Michael Mayer – The Horn Conspiracy Club Mix (DJ-Kicks)
- CSS – Honey (Michael Mayer Remix)
- Alter Ego – Gary
- Mekon feat. Marc Almond – Please Stay (Röyksopp Remix)
- Dreems – Mirages (Michael Mayer Remix)
Next up on DJ-Kicks is Life And Death label founder DJ Tennis. And he’s been granted not one but two discs to showcase his eclectic yet coherent selection. The mix comes as a double CD and triple vinyl release featuring 4 exclusive tracks. Available now.
DJ Tennis is Manfredi Romano, a lifelong music fanatic who started out managing punk bands, progressed to putting on leftfield events, set up one of the most important Italian rock and electronic booking agencies, then started the Life And Death label. Since then Life and Death has launched acts like Tale of Us, Mind against and Vaal. Tennis’s own recorded output is selective and stylish, often featuring real melodies and a musicality that can be lacking in dance music. That knack for the musical and emotive side of things characterises both cerebral mixes he has put together here.
The mix includes brand new original from DJ Tennis featuring Fink called ‘Certain Angels,’ plus new Tennis versions of tunes by Pole and Frank Brettschneider, and finally an unreleased track, ‘Paratrooper,’ from acclaimed Tel Aviv duo Red Axes. All in all it’s a thoughtfully composed mix that’s subversive yet seductive in equal measure.… read more...
We’ve just released a compilation of unmixed DJ-Kicks exclusive tracks from the past few years of the series, available now digitally and on CD here. The tracklist features highlights from the likes of DJ Koze, Matthew Dear, Marcel Dettmann, John Talabot and many more.
Now you can get all new DJ-Kicks releases, as well as subscriber-only specials such as free bonus CDs and Kicks slipmats, with a Bandcamp Subscription from €30 a year. !K7 release at least 4 DJ-Kicks mixes each year on 2LP, CD and digitally.
Get all new DJ-Kicks releases as well as subscriber-only specials, and exclusive access to our fan community with a Bandcamp Subscription from €30 a year. !K7 release at least 4 DJ-Kicks mixes each year on 2LP, CD and digitally.
Tour dates after the jump.
“On an abstract level, the approach was basically the same for both projects”, observes Mayer. “For '&' I put together a group of people that are close to my heart. For Kicks it was a group of records that are like friends to me. All of the tracks I used went through heaven and hell with me. They've become true companions. Circling in on and bringing together these friends was the only criterion for the making of this mix. I wanted it to be as personal as possible.”
Michael Mayer's DJ-Kicks is released 19th May 2017 on CD, 2xLP and digital formats. The mix includes an exclusive Mayer production, "The Horn Conspiracy." Pre-orders are available now.
Tour dates after the jump.